Seattle marathon spectating


Back over Labor Day weekend, there was a flurry of sign-ups for the Seattle half-marathon. Bryan and Jenn started it and talked Erin & David into joining them. (There may have been some drinking involved.) Then after they announced that on Facebook, AndyPants upped the ante by signing up for the full marathon. T was talking about joining the fun and I’ll admit I was sorely tempted, but with Vegas next weekend, it just didn’t seem smart.

When the big day finally arrived, Erin & T had joined the spectating crew. Also joining us on the crew was Phil and Andy’s daughter Kate. The way they do the start times for the various distances at this event is very strange to me. Instead of starting the marathon first, they start the half marathon 45 minutes earlier than the full marathon. Which particularly sucks if you are spectating both events, because you’re going to be waiting around even longer for the marathon finish, unless they’re a Kenyan or something. But I digress…

Miraculously, we ran into our racing friends in the giant crowd of people, so we were able to wish them good luck before the start. Andy, Phil and Kate stayed back in the holding area while we went to watch the half-marathon start. Here’s Erin & I basking in the glow of the McDonalds sign:

IMG_3538As always, it’s amazing to watch the fast folks take off for a half marathon at a pace faster than I can run a single mile:

IMG_3554Then we met back up with the Canadian contingent to wait for Andy’s start. The fabulous Ms. Kate was the lucky recipient of the space blankets Andy had stuffed her shirt with:

IMG_3544We saw Ms. Andy off on her adventure and dashed off to get some breakfast before the half-mary folks were back. (It’s so stressful being a spectator!) Then it was off to the finish line, which was in the middle of a stadium, which was cool. It took a little coordinating, since none of the racers had their phones, but we eventually found everyone. No one PR-ed, but it sounds like the hilly course makes that pretty unlikely.

Erin went back with the rest of the half crew, leaving T, Phil, Kate and I to wander around the Seattle Center until Andy came across the finish line. We explored the fountain, looked at the trains in the Center House and wandered around. The weather miraculously cleared up enough for Phil to take Kate up the Space Needle, which was awesome. Finally, it was time to head back to the finish line. It’s so fun to see all of the different folks that finish a marathon and the energy at the finish line is amazing.

Then Ms. AndyPants came around the corner:

IMG_3555Even though she said it was a rough race and her slowest marathon to date, I thought she did great. And she was way more functional than I am after races. 🙂 We met up with everyone for an amazing decadent brunch and traded war stories. It was a long, tiring, fun end to an awesome Thanksgiving weekend. Feeling very fired up for Vegas next week!


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s